Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Christian polygamy
Dom1234
9/4/2013   

Member Why do almost all American Christians say a man can only have one wife? Old testament men often had more than one, Jesus never said it was wrong, and in a lot of other countries it's still normal.
Post #992522 Back to top ▲
9/4/2013

Dom1234
Why do almost all American Christians say a man can only have one wife? Old testament men often had more than one, Jesus never said it was wrong, and in a lot of other countries it's still normal.
Post #992522
SteelBlues
9/20/2013   

Member Well written, littlemissy. *s*
Post #993255 Back to top ▲
9/20/2013

SteelBlues
Well written, littlemissy. *s*
Post #993255
saiya
9/22/2013   

Member littlemissy yes, well written but the factual information isn't 100% correct.

I am neither pro or con for the subject. I love learning all I can on both side of an subject before I form a concrete opinion or present points as undisputed facts.

http://www.christianpolygamy.com/

http://kgov.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-polygamy

Don't forget the bible also encouraged sex outside of a marriage, sex with slaves, sex with woman bought just for the purpose of sex, and my personal favorite (and ya'll all know why) backed up by The Epigraph. When the wife, or wives (yeah wives) cannot provide the desired offspring it the man is supposed to find the prettiest maid/friend to the wife and knock her up. The bible as we know it today with impossible to follow due to the very nature the contradictions EVERYWHERE in there. Why would a man get absolved from most of the major ten commandments just for the purpose of having a desired offspring? Not needed, just desired. The biblical leaders cherry picked what was most important to them as it pertained to them at that time. Frankly, if it was meant to be be something more rigid than a loose interpretation of how we should be then the all powerful would have been powerful enough to make sure the message stayed clear, relevant, and undisputed. No others but the one true god? How about no other rules but the one true set of rules?
Post #993355 Back to top ▲
9/22/2013

saiya
littlemissy yes, well written but the factual information isn't 100% correct.

I am neither pro or con for the subject. I love learning all I can on both side of an subject before I form a concrete opinion or present points as undisputed facts.

http://www.christianpolygamy.com/

http://kgov.com/what-does-the-bible-say-about-polygamy

Don't forget the bible also encouraged sex outside of a marriage, sex with slaves, sex with woman bought just for the purpose of sex, and my personal favorite (and ya'll all know why) backed up by The Epigraph. When the wife, or wives (yeah wives) cannot provide the desired offspring it the man is supposed to find the prettiest maid/friend to the wife and knock her up. The bible as we know it today with impossible to follow due to the very nature the contradictions EVERYWHERE in there. Why would a man get absolved from most of the major ten commandments just for the purpose of having a desired offspring? Not needed, just desired. The biblical leaders cherry picked what was most important to them as it pertained to them at that time. Frankly, if it was meant to be be something more rigid than a loose interpretation of how we should be then the all powerful would have been powerful enough to make sure the message stayed clear, relevant, and undisputed. No others but the one true god? How about no other rules but the one true set of rules?
Post #993355
Dom1234
9/30/2013   

Member Wow I haven't checked this in a while. So... Just because something happens in the bible doesn't mean it's "allowed".

And the bible doesn't really contridicy itself as much as I used to think.
This is an example. How men use to have multiple wives but then the Bible says if a man divorces his wife and Marries another he's an adulterer. Here's the thing. Divorce is wrong. It's not what God intended. It doesn't condem marrying another woman WITHOUT divorce. So there it is. If it contridicts itself you're misunderstanding it.

That is a good point though about polygamy being something God allows but doesn't prefer.

Edited: 9/30/2013 by Dom1234
Post #993675 Back to top ▲
9/30/2013

Dom1234
Wow I haven't checked this in a while. So... Just because something happens in the bible doesn't mean it's "allowed".

And the bible doesn't really contridicy itself as much as I used to think.
This is an example. How men use to have multiple wives but then the Bible says if a man divorces his wife and Marries another he's an adulterer. Here's the thing. Divorce is wrong. It's not what God intended. It doesn't condem marrying another woman WITHOUT divorce. So there it is. If it contridicts itself you're misunderstanding it.

That is a good point though about polygamy being something God allows but doesn't prefer.

Edited: 9/30/2013 by Dom1234
Post #993675
ImaDummy
10/1/2013   

Member lol

This looks like a lot of good reasons to never get married in the first place.

Nothing wrong with living together as a common-law couple. (a civil union, if you will)

AND, it gives a couple the opportunity to include other like-minded individuals to the union since there is no marriage in the first place.

and a quote from Robert Heinlein (the character Lazarus Long in the book Time Enough for Love)

"The more you love, the more you can love — and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just."
Post #993688 Back to top ▲
10/1/2013

ImaDummy
lol

This looks like a lot of good reasons to never get married in the first place.

Nothing wrong with living together as a common-law couple. (a civil union, if you will)

AND, it gives a couple the opportunity to include other like-minded individuals to the union since there is no marriage in the first place.

and a quote from Robert Heinlein (the character Lazarus Long in the book Time Enough for Love)

"The more you love, the more you can love — and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just."
Post #993688
Dom1234
10/3/2013   

Member Which post belittles Christianity?
Post #993798 Back to top ▲
10/3/2013

Dom1234
Which post belittles Christianity?
Post #993798
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna