Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Icon size anomaly
*kaydence
5/8/2017   

Icon Maker
Alright so I've pretty much always used png format since around 2007, it does save a touch larger in kb than jpg but I like it and it's become habit.
I've never had a problem with this happening in the past.

Today I gifted this icon to disaster. It's saved at 82kb and I have uploaded it with no problem.
I paged the image to her and she let me know it wouldn't let her upload because it was too large. Baffling me I researched the size in my saved folder of hers and it states 82kb. Checked the image properties of the uploaded and it's 104.61kb.

So then I checked the ones I did for the auction, also saved in png format, but they did not change in kb.

I did email the icon to her and she was able to upload it that way.

Might not be a fixable issue but still putting it out there. I do have a workaround with the emailing or changing the saved format if absolutely necessary.

She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice. It was supposed to make you feel something.
- Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park

Post #1037825 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

*kaydence
Icon Maker
Alright so I've pretty much always used png format since around 2007, it does save a touch larger in kb than jpg but I like it and it's become habit.

Today I gifted this icon to disaster. It's saved at 82kb and I have uploaded it with no problem.
I paged the image to her and she let me know it wouldn't let her upload because it was too large. Baffling me I researched the size in my saved folder of hers and it states 82kb. Checked the image properties of the uploaded and it's 104.61kb.

So then I checked the ones I did for the auction, also saved in png format, but they did not change in kb.

I did email the icon to her and she was able to upload it that way.

Might not be a fixable issue but still putting it out there. I do have a workaround with the emailing or changing the saved format if absolutely necessary.

She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice. It was supposed to make you feel something.

Post #1037825
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
That's odd. Can you send me the original 82KB icon to admin@the-pork.com and I'll see if I can recreate the problem.
Post #1037826 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
That's odd. Can you send me the original 82KB icon to admin@the-pork.com and I'll see if I can recreate the problem.
Post #1037826
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
Are you uploading via an iPad by any chance?

I've seen that before where somebody uploaded with an iPad and for some reason apple adds to the file size.
Post #1037827 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
Are you uploading via an iPad by any chance?

I've seen that before where somebody uploaded with an iPad and for some reason apple adds to the file size.
Post #1037827
*kaydence
5/8/2017   

Icon Maker
Email sent with icon and no I'm on a desktop computer. Browser is firefox. On the .net site.

Post #1037828 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

*kaydence
Icon Maker
Email sent with icon and no I'm on a desktop computer. Browser is firefox. On the .net site.

Post #1037828
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
So interestingly it seems to be a PNG issue.

I converted to various sizes and regardless PNG was a larger size when uploaded.

I converted to JPG and the file size went down to 20K and did not resize when uploaded:

The upload rules do actually state it has to be GIF or JPG format and I think that is due to the extra file sizes PNG are. I'd much prefer to have a 20KB file than a 100KB file.

Thank of your poor fellow members on dial-up! Tongue
Post #1037830 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
So interestingly it seems to be a PNG issue.

I converted to various sizes and regardless PNG was a larger size when uploaded.

I converted to JPG and the file size went down to 20K and did not resize when uploaded:

The upload rules do actually state it has to be GIF or JPG format and I think that is due to the extra file sizes PNG are. I'd much prefer to have a 20KB file than a 100KB file.

Thank of your poor fellow members on dial-up! Tongue
Post #1037830
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
I'm going to run some tests though and see what's up with the PNG issue... we should be able to allow PNG to be uploaded without a problem.

The issue for dial-up and satellite users can be solved another way.

This is probably down to the code running the image through a security filter to prevent hacking of the site.
Post #1037831 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
I'm going to run some tests though and see what's up with the PNG issue... we should be able to allow PNG to be uploaded without a problem.

The issue for dial-up and satellite users can be solved another way.

This is probably down to the code running the image through a security filter to prevent hacking of the site.
Post #1037831
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
Should now be fixed. Looks like the resize image code was firing for PNG files even when the image wasn't larger than allowed by your membership.

The resize code was basically resizing to the original size but the component adds to the file size.
Post #1037833 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
Should now be fixed. Looks like the resize image code was firing for PNG files even when the image wasn't larger than allowed by your membership.

The resize code was basically resizing to the original size but the component adds to the file size.
Post #1037833
*kaydence
5/8/2017   

Icon Maker
Thanks Cradz.

I can still try to retrain my mouse fingers and my brain to use jpg again, but 10 years of habit will be difficult to break.

Still crazy though that the sizes were changing that much.

Post #1037834 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

*kaydence
Icon Maker
Thanks Cradz.

I can still try to retrain my mouse fingers and my brain to use jpg again, but 10 years of habit will be difficult to break.

Post #1037834
Cradz
5/8/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
*kaydence (5/8/2017)
Thanks Cradz.

Thanks. It shouldn't matter as we have increased the file size allowed so technically you can but vast majority of icon makers make them jpg or gif if animated.

I think the compression is better on jpg and quite honestly we have a lot of older people who have older computer (some don't even show png files!) and are still on dial-up or on a slow satellite connection.
Post #1037835 Back to top ▲
5/8/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
*kaydence (5/8/2017)
Thanks Cradz.

Thanks. It shouldn't matter as we have increased the file size allowed so technically you can but vast majority of icon makers make them jpg or gif if animated.

I think the compression is better on jpg and quite honestly we have a lot of older people who have older computer (some don't even show png files!) and are still on dial-up or on a slow satellite connection.
Post #1037835
Stormkrow
5/9/2017   

Member Alright so I've pretty much always used png format since around 2007, it does save a touch larger in kb than jpg but I like it and it's become habit.

Today I gifted this icon Image Removed - Not Authorized.

I wonder if the blank is smaller and the program you are using is saving in a smaller size by minimizing color palette. And then you add a name in another color that's not part of the saved palate?
Post #1037843 Back to top ▲
5/9/2017

Stormkrow

I wonder if the blank is smaller and the program you are using is saving in a smaller size by minimizing color palette. And then you add a name in another color that's not part of the saved palate?
Post #1037843
Cradz
5/9/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
Stormkrow (5/8/2017)

I think you might be right as I have various options to save in my graphics program for PNG so if you choose the largest palette it'll save as a larger file size.

I think the default server png conversion is probably saving with a larger palette so that was probably why the file size was increasing on the server.

I'd prefer people use jpg and gif but png is fine too.

--
Edit to remove some rambling. I must have been tired. lol

Edited: 5/9/2017 by Cradz
Post #1037844 Back to top ▲
5/9/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
Stormkrow (5/8/2017)

I think you might be right as I have various options to save in my graphics program for PNG so if you choose the largest palette it'll save as a larger file size.

I think the default server png conversion is probably saving with a larger palette so that was probably why the file size was increasing on the server.

I'd prefer people use jpg and gif but png is fine too.

--
Edit to remove some rambling. I must have been tired. lol

Edited: 5/9/2017 by Cradz
Post #1037844
Cradz
5/9/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
The classic site has been fixed. Icons were being uploaded at 110x110 for some member levels.
Post #1037858 Back to top ▲
5/9/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
The classic site has been fixed. Icons were being uploaded at 110x110 for some member levels.
Post #1037858
*kaydence
5/9/2017   

Icon Maker Forcing myself to break the habit of using my preferred format.

I will use jpg for most all icons.
PNG for those with transparency.
GIF for animations (don't do many of these as too much animation on the screen gives me headaches)

Post #1037861 Back to top ▲
5/9/2017

*kaydence
Icon Maker
Forcing myself to break the habit of using my preferred format.

GIF for animations (don't do many of these as too much animation on the screen gives me headaches)

Post #1037861
Cradz
5/9/2017   

The Owner
The Owner
*kaydence (5/9/2017)

Sounds good. Smile
Post #1037865 Back to top ▲
5/9/2017

Cradz
The Owner
The Owner
*kaydence (5/9/2017)

Sounds good. Smile
Post #1037865
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, MistressTrinna