Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Bound by text: Writing in first person
{ksenia}
10/18/2015   

Bra Tester Continuing the "Bound by text" series...an article developing ways to improve the first person narrative....

``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``

Me, Myself and I:
Writing First Person Point of View

by Cheryl Wright

You want to write first person - it's easy, right? Anyone can do it, at least that's what everyone tells you.

Not quite.

First person narration is becoming more and more popular, and this is being recognised by many publishers, including some romance publishers, who are now open to submissions using this point of view (POV). Silhouette Bombshell are one such publisher.

The trick is to eliminate most of those nasty "I" words that sneak into your prose unnoticed. Just because the story is being told in first person, does not forgive starting every (or every other) sentence with "I". The alternatives are endless......... Continued at: Fiction Factor - Me, Myself and I

So, what information can you give your audience as you write in first person?
How do you linguistically place yourself into a text-created environment and make it feel more realistic?

What you're feeling...tactile stimulation of furniture, air, floor....

your breathing, sensations on your skin, the feel of your clothes (or lack of clothes) on your skins

your emotions....how do they play across your face, in your body language....? How would an onlooker know you're feeling something? If you're shy....what does that look like? If you're angry, annoyed, scared....what do they look like?

You actions....where are you going? How did you get there? Was it slow, fast...? Would you be conscious of the sway of your hips as you walk? The sound of your footsteps? Did you walk...or was it a sidle, saunter, sashay, pad, wander, mince, flounce, glide, strut, swagger......

What you can observe - the sights, the sounds, the smells...other people's responses to you...

Inner Monologue You can, of course, share what you are thinking....but unless people are telepathic, it's not a 'normal' thing for them to know, unless you say those thoughts out loud.....your thoughts may play across your face; anxiety, trepidation....how would i know that's what you're feeling? Do you lips grow thin, your eyes large when you're anxious or on the verge of tears....?

Most Importantly

Be you!! ....know who you are and bring him/her.....know if you blush across just the bridge of your nose or if it slides its way down to the top of your chest.

Believe that those in the D/s chat rooms genuinely want to meet you and who you are is good enough!!

“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” - Dr. Seuss

Edited: 10/18/2015 by {ksenia}
Post #1024100 Back to top ▲
10/18/2015

{ksenia}
Bra Tester
Continuing the "Bound by text" series...an article developing ways to improve the first person narrative....

``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``

Me, Myself and I:
Writing First Person Point of View

by Cheryl Wright

You want to write first person - it's easy, right? Anyone can do it, at least that's what everyone tells you.

Not quite.

First person narration is becoming more and more popular, and this is being recognised by many publishers, including some romance publishers, who are now open to submissions using this point of view (POV). Silhouette Bombshell are one such publisher.

The trick is to eliminate most of those nasty "I" words that sneak into your prose unnoticed. Just because the story is being told in first person, does not forgive starting every (or every other) sentence with "I". The alternatives are endless......... Continued at: Fiction Factor - Me, Myself and I

So, what information can you give your audience as you write in first person?
How do you linguistically place yourself into a text-created environment and make it feel more realistic?

What you're feeling...tactile stimulation of furniture, air, floor....

your breathing, sensations on your skin, the feel of your clothes (or lack of clothes) on your skins

your emotions....how do they play across your face, in your body language....? How would an onlooker know you're feeling something? If you're shy....what does that look like? If you're angry, annoyed, scared....what do they look like?

You actions....where are you going? How did you get there? Was it slow, fast...? Would you be conscious of the sway of your hips as you walk? The sound of your footsteps? Did you walk...or was it a sidle, saunter, sashay, pad, wander, mince, flounce, glide, strut, swagger......

What you can observe - the sights, the sounds, the smells...other people's responses to you...

Inner Monologue You can, of course, share what you are thinking....but unless people are telepathic, it's not a 'normal' thing for them to know, unless you say those thoughts out loud.....your thoughts may play across your face; anxiety, trepidation....how would i know that's what you're feeling? Do you lips grow thin, your eyes large when you're anxious or on the verge of tears....?

Most Importantly

Be you!! ....know who you are and bring him/her.....know if you blush across just the bridge of your nose or if it slides its way down to the top of your chest.

Believe that those in the D/s chat rooms genuinely want to meet you and who you are is good enough!!

“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” - Dr. Seuss

Edited: 10/18/2015 by {ksenia}
Post #1024100
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, ksenia