Welcome Guest! ( Login | Register )
Bound by text: a lesson from role-players
{ksenia}
10/18/2015   

Bra Tester
Welcome to The Pork!

In a series of posts titled "bound by text" the aim is to help those new to a chat-based interaction or online role-play and who have come here looking to explore their kinky side.

N.B. the use of the term 'role-play' in this article is not seeking to undermine the very real nature of an online D/s interaction. It is shared, however, acknowledging the [i]limits and potential of typed actions, speech and environment and using the experience of role-players to help guide and inform that interaction. [/i]

What can i say....cross-discipline stuff just gets me going...!

``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``

Original article: Link (all examples have been changed for context).

Writing for text-based interactions (TBI) or role-play

For the most part, how you role-play is up to you. Most of the finer points of writing are the opinions of other role-players. Some of this information is included in Tips and Tricks …, but the best way to refine your writing style is to observe and role-play with those you find most appealing.

One point I can cover in this guide is role-play structure. There are several ways to actually write your poses in RP, and a few of them are:

Classic Online Role-Playing Style. This is probably the most commonly used style, and represents character action as text between asterisks * and character speech as normal text.

Example: *Walks into the room and looks around* Knock, knock, anyone in? *Sits in one of the chairs by the fire* I have time, i can wait.

Prose Style. This is role-play written as most stories are written, with actions written in plain text, and speech in quotation marks.

Example: He walks into the room and looks around. "Knock, knock, anyone in?" He asks, optimistically. He walks further into the room and sits in one of the chairs by the fire, sighing, "I have time, i can wait."

AOL Style. This is similar to Classic Style, but with colons : instead of asterisks. (Note: Sometimes, double colons :: are used.)

Example: :Walks into the room and looks around: knock, knock, anyone in? : Sits in one of the chairs by the fire: I have time, i can wait.

Timing is another important aspect of role-play. When you post your poses tends to matter, depending on whom you role-play with. In two-person role-play, it is usually best to take turns posting. It is almost universally thought that posting more than once before the other player posts is bad manners. If you wish to do this, though, ask the other player if it's alright with them, and they may not mind. (Note: An exception to this is in chat-areas with post-length limits, such as instant messengers or IRC. In this case, I suggest you cut and paste from a text editor so your posts are quick enough to avoid catching the other player in the middle of writing their next post.) In scenes with more than two people, things can be more loose. It is probably best to discuss timing with the people involved. This way, you will know if there is a set post order, or if you can just post as soon as there is something you wish to respond to.

Role-Playing Courtesy and Etiquette:

(Note: This section is based very strongly on opinions, but I hope they are close to universally acceptable. As with anything else in this guide, feel free to tell me if you think something is notably wrong.)

The goal of role-playing is to provide an enjoyable experience not only to one's self, but also to the others participating in a scene. (In fact, this is probably the most important part; most of the enjoyment of the role-play is not in one's own posts, but how the other person responds, and what they do for the role-play.) Keeping this in mind, some basic guidelines for etiquette should be observed:

-Vulgar Language: Such things as profanities, racial slurs, derogatory terms, and anything else generally frowned upon are usually considered vulgar. Use your best judgement, and try to keep the use of vulgar terminology in private, and away from the public eye. Even in adults-only role-playing areas, the public use of offensive language tends to be frowned upon.

-Character Interaction: Avoid "unblockable" and "forced" actions. If you are playing a character who is attacking or otherwise chasing another character, give them ways to avoid capture. Try to give the other player breathing room. The same goes for typing as a submissive: there should be few (if any) forced actions. Forced actions are, in effect, writing the other player's character without their consent. This is known as power-playing/power-gaming, and is generally not appreciated. The only time forcing actions is acceptable is with the consent of the other player. This can occur when their character is obviously under your character's complete control, or their character is willing to let yours do just about anything. Still, it is best to be avoided. Once again, please try to avoid power-play, as it tends to make RP less fun for those being around a power-gamer.

Just in case, here is an example of a power-play post, and a way it could have been made better:

Example: The Dominant stalks across the room, grabbing the submissive, and forcefully dragging her to the cross against the wall, binding her hands and forcing her to shiver, head to toe. "You're mine, now"

The Dominant gives the submissive no chance to respond to His actions, effectively forcing her into that situation and predicting her response. Now, here's how it could have been done in a more open-ended manner:

Example: The Dominant stalks across the room, grabbing the submissive, and forcefully dragging her to the cross against the wall. He stops, watching for her reaction saying, "You're mine, now".

Not much was changed, but now the submissive can choose how to respond, giving a chance for protest or compliance and giving the Dominant the option to respond and notice the reactions.

Another example: The submissive scampers across the room, hot cup of tea in hand. She curtsies before the Dominant, curling down to a kneel and puts the tea into the Dominants hand, watching as He blows.

Again, the submissive has predicted and anticipated the actions of the Dominant, taking control away and removing some of the 'fun' from the engagement.

Example: The submissive scampers across the room, hot cup of tea in hand. She curtsies before the Dominant, curling down to a kneel and offers up the cup of tea, turning the handle towards Him, eager eyes watching Him.

-Giving: Just as you role-play hoping for a good scene from the other player, they do so expecting a good scene from you. Pay attention to what they say, and their preferences. I recommend writing with the intention of pleasing the other player, and letting them do the same for you. Role-play's primary draw is that it allows real people to interact in a fantasy (In the broader sense of make-believe, not just elves and magic, etc.) environment. With this in mind, a good goal to set for yourself is making the other person enjoy it as much as you can, and hopefully they will do the same for you. (To make an analogy, you can hug yourself all you want, but a hug from another person will likely mean a lot more.)

-Asking Questions: If you're not sure of something, feel free to ask someone! It's better to risk bothering someone with a "petty detail" than risk making a grievous error. This doesn't mean you should bug someone in the middle of their scene, or anything like that; ask someone you are role-playing with, or someone who is not in a scene. People tend appreciate players who are considerate enough to ask questions first, shoot later.

Conclusion:

I hope this guide has proven useful to you, and given you sound advice, whether you're new or old, experienced or inexperienced. This guide exists as a means for everyone to meet on common ground, and hopefully avoid most difficulties that could arise. Feel free to contact the writer of the guide if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

And most importantly of all: Have fun role-playing!

“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” - Dr. Seuss

Edited: 10/18/2015 by {ksenia}
Post #1024099 Back to top ▲
10/18/2015

{ksenia}
Bra Tester
Welcome to The Pork!

In a series of posts titled "bound by text" the aim is to help those new to a chat-based interaction or online role-play and who have come here looking to explore their kinky side.

N.B. the use of the term 'role-play' in this article is not seeking to undermine the very real nature of an online D/s interaction. It is shared, however, acknowledging the [i]limits and potential of typed actions, speech and environment and using the experience of role-players to help guide and inform that interaction. [/i]

What can i say....cross-discipline stuff just gets me going...!

``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``'-.,_,.-'``'-.,_,.='``

Original article: Link (all examples have been changed for context).

Writing for text-based interactions (TBI) or role-play

For the most part, how you role-play is up to you. Most of the finer points of writing are the opinions of other role-players. Some of this information is included in Tips and Tricks …, but the best way to refine your writing style is to observe and role-play with those you find most appealing.

One point I can cover in this guide is role-play structure. There are several ways to actually write your poses in RP, and a few of them are:

Classic Online Role-Playing Style. This is probably the most commonly used style, and represents character action as text between asterisks * and character speech as normal text.

Example: *Walks into the room and looks around* Knock, knock, anyone in? *Sits in one of the chairs by the fire* I have time, i can wait.

Prose Style. This is role-play written as most stories are written, with actions written in plain text, and speech in quotation marks.

Example: He walks into the room and looks around. "Knock, knock, anyone in?" He asks, optimistically. He walks further into the room and sits in one of the chairs by the fire, sighing, "I have time, i can wait."

AOL Style. This is similar to Classic Style, but with colons : instead of asterisks. (Note: Sometimes, double colons :: are used.)

Example: :Walks into the room and looks around: knock, knock, anyone in? : Sits in one of the chairs by the fire: I have time, i can wait.

Timing is another important aspect of role-play. When you post your poses tends to matter, depending on whom you role-play with. In two-person role-play, it is usually best to take turns posting. It is almost universally thought that posting more than once before the other player posts is bad manners. If you wish to do this, though, ask the other player if it's alright with them, and they may not mind. (Note: An exception to this is in chat-areas with post-length limits, such as instant messengers or IRC. In this case, I suggest you cut and paste from a text editor so your posts are quick enough to avoid catching the other player in the middle of writing their next post.) In scenes with more than two people, things can be more loose. It is probably best to discuss timing with the people involved. This way, you will know if there is a set post order, or if you can just post as soon as there is something you wish to respond to.

Role-Playing Courtesy and Etiquette:

(Note: This section is based very strongly on opinions, but I hope they are close to universally acceptable. As with anything else in this guide, feel free to tell me if you think something is notably wrong.)

The goal of role-playing is to provide an enjoyable experience not only to one's self, but also to the others participating in a scene. (In fact, this is probably the most important part; most of the enjoyment of the role-play is not in one's own posts, but how the other person responds, and what they do for the role-play.) Keeping this in mind, some basic guidelines for etiquette should be observed:

-Vulgar Language: Such things as profanities, racial slurs, derogatory terms, and anything else generally frowned upon are usually considered vulgar. Use your best judgement, and try to keep the use of vulgar terminology in private, and away from the public eye. Even in adults-only role-playing areas, the public use of offensive language tends to be frowned upon.

-Character Interaction: Avoid "unblockable" and "forced" actions. If you are playing a character who is attacking or otherwise chasing another character, give them ways to avoid capture. Try to give the other player breathing room. The same goes for typing as a submissive: there should be few (if any) forced actions. Forced actions are, in effect, writing the other player's character without their consent. This is known as power-playing/power-gaming, and is generally not appreciated. The only time forcing actions is acceptable is with the consent of the other player. This can occur when their character is obviously under your character's complete control, or their character is willing to let yours do just about anything. Still, it is best to be avoided. Once again, please try to avoid power-play, as it tends to make RP less fun for those being around a power-gamer.

Just in case, here is an example of a power-play post, and a way it could have been made better:

Example: The Dominant stalks across the room, grabbing the submissive, and forcefully dragging her to the cross against the wall, binding her hands and forcing her to shiver, head to toe. "You're mine, now"

The Dominant gives the submissive no chance to respond to His actions, effectively forcing her into that situation and predicting her response. Now, here's how it could have been done in a more open-ended manner:

Example: The Dominant stalks across the room, grabbing the submissive, and forcefully dragging her to the cross against the wall. He stops, watching for her reaction saying, "You're mine, now".

Not much was changed, but now the submissive can choose how to respond, giving a chance for protest or compliance and giving the Dominant the option to respond and notice the reactions.

Another example: The submissive scampers across the room, hot cup of tea in hand. She curtsies before the Dominant, curling down to a kneel and puts the tea into the Dominants hand, watching as He blows.

Again, the submissive has predicted and anticipated the actions of the Dominant, taking control away and removing some of the 'fun' from the engagement.

Example: The submissive scampers across the room, hot cup of tea in hand. She curtsies before the Dominant, curling down to a kneel and offers up the cup of tea, turning the handle towards Him, eager eyes watching Him.

-Giving: Just as you role-play hoping for a good scene from the other player, they do so expecting a good scene from you. Pay attention to what they say, and their preferences. I recommend writing with the intention of pleasing the other player, and letting them do the same for you. Role-play's primary draw is that it allows real people to interact in a fantasy (In the broader sense of make-believe, not just elves and magic, etc.) environment. With this in mind, a good goal to set for yourself is making the other person enjoy it as much as you can, and hopefully they will do the same for you. (To make an analogy, you can hug yourself all you want, but a hug from another person will likely mean a lot more.)

-Asking Questions: If you're not sure of something, feel free to ask someone! It's better to risk bothering someone with a "petty detail" than risk making a grievous error. This doesn't mean you should bug someone in the middle of their scene, or anything like that; ask someone you are role-playing with, or someone who is not in a scene. People tend appreciate players who are considerate enough to ask questions first, shoot later.

Conclusion:

I hope this guide has proven useful to you, and given you sound advice, whether you're new or old, experienced or inexperienced. This guide exists as a means for everyone to meet on common ground, and hopefully avoid most difficulties that could arise. Feel free to contact the writer of the guide if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

And most importantly of all: Have fun role-playing!

“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.” - Dr. Seuss

Edited: 10/18/2015 by {ksenia}
Post #1024099
Topic Info
Forum Moderators: Cradz, ksenia